Exhaust Systems

Discuss anywhere you've found something useful

Moderators: Lashman, Keith Halstead, Steve 155C

dfv3000
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Exhaust Systems

Post by dfv3000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 am

Can anyone give me first hand feedback on complete Exhaust Systems from Don Pembleton for Mk2 Lotus Cortina. (stainless steel)

I also see that Burton supply Silverline systems which are much more expensive thatn Don and 105.speed.

Has anyone had experience of these Systems, one imagines at the price they must be good ?

Many Thanks
dfv3000

Lashman
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 1855

Post by Lashman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am

Hi,
A lot depends on if you are changing the manifold as well, or what manifold you are mating it up to?
I've only got personal mk2 experience of the 105speed system, which has been talked about a lot on the forum recently. Basically good quality but fits a little off. (1/2 a day fettling on the exhaust and a full day on the manifold).
I've only seen the Don Pembleton system on a mk1, but the owner was very happy, but the car was delivered to their workshop had the exhaust made and fitted for the car so you'd expect it to be good. Is that the service they have quoted you?
Never heard off Silverline but Burton's stock QuickSilver which are OEM for some high end supercars so it would be interesting to hear how good they are on our cars, but I don't know anyone who has one.
Cheers
Louis

H Cortina
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2088

Post by H Cortina » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Did you buy one dfv3000?

Considering a 105speed exhaust myself but the fettling is putting me off.

Want just to buy and fit (says he optimistically).

Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi Howard,
I was chatting to the restorer of 26 VUR (not a Mk 2, I know) and he told me he bought a s/s system for that car from PD Gough (Nottingham area?).
Now I do know that early Mk 1 exhausts are a cow to get right and most of us have to put up with the system touching at least one part of the body at any given time! However, this guy told me that the Gough system fits like a glove and had no problems with it at all.
He also had an idea that the Lotus Cortina Spares Centre get their systems made there to and I know Terry doesn't sell any rubbish.
Perhaps they're worth a try.
Scott

Pete G
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 278

Re: Exhaust Systems

Post by Pete G » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm looking at going stainless so has anyone bought any since the last post over 2 years ago?
Gough sound the best bet as I can't see me getting the car to the manufacturer to have it made to measure and fitted

BLUEANDWHITE66
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by BLUEANDWHITE66 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 am

Ive got a full 105speed system fitted on my mk1 , didn't have loads of problems but the manifold needed a little persuading, i'm running 45s with different cams, bigger valves etc , it sounds superb when it comes on cam, I had more aggro trying to get it then fitting it to be honest ,

Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

Pete G wrote:I'm looking at going stainless so has anyone bought any since the last post over 2 years ago?
Gough sound the best bet as I can't see me getting the car to the manufacturer to have it made to measure and fitted
The price for the 2 box system = £616 + carr + vat. Price for the 3 box system = £662 + carr + vat. Time scale will be around 2 weeks from placing the order.

LHDLC
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2289

Post by LHDLC » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi
I buy all my exhausts from http://www.stainless-exhaust.com
I usually buy 1 or 2 a year, they are always a perfect fit and cost around £400 for a 3 box Inc VAT plus delivery (I collect), they also do a great SS manifold for about the same price

Lead time is about 6 weeks
Ask for Don he is the boss; tell him David gave you the details

Pete G
Woodrim

Post by Pete G » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Recent prices:-
Stainless Exhausts manifold £390, system £287 = £ 677 + VAT
Gough £662 £675 = £1337 + VAT

mmm......can't decide!!

Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:32 am

Pete - after the aggro I had with my car with the exhaust / manifold not fitting, next time I would definitely take it to a place what supplied and fitted for me. I wouldn't trust an off the shelf system.

Also David's recommendation is for an airflow car , has that company made one for a pre-airflow car?

LHDLC
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2289

Post by LHDLC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 am

Steve’s right, all the exhausts I have had are for airflow cars
I know Stainless have made pre airflow manifolds and systems, but I don’t have any experience of how they fit
They do offer a fitting service if you can get your car to them in North Nott’s
David

Pete G
Woodrim

Post by Pete G » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:40 pm

LHDLC wrote:Hi
I buy all my exhausts from http://www.stainless-exhaust.com
I usually buy 1 or 2 a year, they are always a perfect fit and cost around £400 for a 3 box Inc VAT plus delivery (I collect), they also do a great SS manifold for about the same price

Lead time is about 6 weeks
Ask for Don he is the boss; tell him David gave you the details
Just an update on this.
I contacted Stainless Exhausts and they assured me they had the template for the early MkI so I ordered one.
A few weeks later this arrived
So I contacted them saying it was not what I had expected and that it looked more like a GT manifold due to the shape of the pipe from No 3 and the 2-into-1 bits.
So I then sent them scanned pictures of both from the Parts List and they then said they could see the differences that I was on about and could make one to match
I sent theirs back with a spare manifold courtesy of Don Matheson as a template to copy.
A few more weeks later they sent this

Much more like the original!

I reckon this is as good as they get,- unless someone knows one better?

tommy
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1693

Post by tommy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:40 am

How close is it to the idler arm Pete? The one I got from Terry Bachelor was touching the idler arm and I had to relieve it with a hammer to stop it rattling. In the end the idler arm seized, I believe due to the heat, so I had to cut the pipe and let in a curved section for clearance.
Tommy

Pete G
Woodrim

Post by Pete G » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:41 pm

slightly more clearance than the original which was approx. 3/16", but that might be down to the person who fitted it for me who said it took a bit of doing!
Could yours not be bent a bit away from the idler? Maybe a bit of heat wrap would help.
At least your bit of fettling would be mainly out of sight