Post by L2Man » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:21 pm

I heard from an expert that the badges were fitted on all Aeroflow
Cars, as a factory recall...

SteveL
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2401

Re: Indianapolis centre console badges 1965

Post by SteveL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:26 pm

If i was present at that time i would have asked for a st georges flag and sold that other thing for tat

tommy
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1693

Post by tommy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Not fitted to my July 65 build, Sept 65 first reg car.
Tommy

David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Ok, I would like to explain, to anyone who's interested, why this post is of such interest to me.

At some point in 1968 I decided that I was going to buy a Mk1 Lotus Cortina and take it through life with me. My criteria was that it had to be a C reg 1965 car (you don't need to know why). It would be as late '65 as possible so that it was a genuine leaf spring car and as young as it could be, have retained it's original spec. (to the letter) and, maybe I could find one with an Indy badge. I was thrilled when Clark won the race in May that year and I always thought it was a nice touch by Chapman to add the badge to the Cortina. At 22 years of age I was a big Jim Clark/Lotus fan and I still consider now that he was the most naturally gifted driver of all time, better than Fangio, Schumacher, Senna or Prost so to have had the badge on my car would have meant a lot to me, especially following his death in 1968.

I began looking at the add's in Autosport (my weekly buy back then) and there was certainly no shortage of cars for sale. I found HXD in Feb '69. I had looked at quite a few but there was always something wrong or not quite right. A lot of cars had accident damage and had obviously had a very hard early life. Quite a few had had the steering wheel changed to something more trendy. HXD had clearly been well looked after, the owner told me of one small repair around the off-side headlight and when, some 24 years later, I removed the paint from the car the only damage was that small repair he had told me about. He had told me that he hadn't made any changes to the spec. which I could see for myself anyway, so I was confident that the car was completely correct

At that point in time it wasn't difficult to tell that the car was completely original so I was on my way.

Unfortunately none of the late '65 cars I looked at (it was probably only 6 or 7) had an Indy badge. I could have bought one from Len Street Engineering in Chelsea. That was where I bought my filters and gaskets etc. but it was my decision that, as my car didn't have one fitted when new, I would stick to it's original spec. and this is where my problem arises. I don't care what other people do to their cars. They can paint them all pink for all I care. What I do care about is that we seem to have someone trying to change history. I may be wrong and if I am I apologise now, but I think I've read in Micheal's previous posts that he bought his car in '72 and that it is, or was, an A-frame car. It is a fact that Lotus didn't start fitting Indy badges to our cars 'till late Dec '65 at the earliest. It is inconseivable that an A-frame car left the factory with an Indy badge fitted. Isn't it possible that the badge was fitted by a previous owner?

The bottom line of all this is that I believe, as a club, we should be providing useful and accurate information on the specification of our cars, to the best of our abilities, for the benefit of members new and old who want their cars to be as correct as possible and, no matter how small. not to change the truth for a lie.

No doubt I will now be branded as Picky or even worse, obsessive. Maybe I am but originality has was always been important to me. It pleases me now that when I open my garage door I see a car that I have owned for 47 years and that it remains completely faithful to it's original spec.

Dave B

Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 pm

I had no idea that this post would be so much fun. :P

I received the badge today & it's just what the owner needs. :D

SteveL
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2401

Post by SteveL » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 am

47 years wow .i was just about in the race of life to the egg born in August 69 lol
Nice strory

Andy M
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 896

Post by Andy M » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

What's wrong with Pink cars?
Andy M

tommy
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1693

Post by tommy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Your mk2 isn't really pink Andy, more of a pale purple. Nice to see the odd different coloured one :wink:

Andy M
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 896

Post by Andy M » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 pm

All Mot's say Pink!!!!